In 2018, AGC of America celebrated 100 years of serving the construction industry. While we celebrated and recognized the past it is important that we continue to look to the future to address ongoing issues affecting the industry. In this spirit, AGC decided to make the Innovation Awards an annual award to incentivize and encourage free thinkers to provide pioneering solutions to industry challenges. Examples of issues needing innovative solutions include, but are not limited to:
- Workforce shortage and lack of diversity
- Technology advancements
- Jobsite safety
- Project complexity
The platform for the 2020 application opened in July of 2019 and will close October 31, 2019, at 11:59 p.m. (ET). Here is a sample of the 2020 application. There is a $250 application fee. All applicants must be an AGC member. If the innovative solution is part of a joint venture, the AGC member may apply on behalf of the team. If the joint venture is awarded a prize, it is at the discretion of the AGC member on how to share the prize money.
Applicants will be judged on the following:
- Ability to clearly identify the challenge being addressed.
- Ability to not only articulate a proposed solution, but also the originality of the solution.
- The innovation should be realistically adaptable to the industry. Describe the implied investment and expected return of the innovation.
- Identify the economic and/or social impact of the innovative solution.
- Describe the long-term implications of the innovation.
- The submission should be clear and concise, presented in a creative format and submitted via the online platform.
- Grammar, spelling and completeness of the application will be a factor in judging.
Judges will determine to the top three finalists by mid-January 2020. Those top three finalists will be invited to present to the panel of judges at the beginning of the AGC Annual Convention, March 9-12, 2020 in Las Vegas, NV. At this time the judges will determine 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place. The winners will be announced during the AGC Annual Convention.
The grand prize winner will be awarded a $7,000 cash prize; the second prize winner will receive $3,500; and the third prize winner will receive $1,500. AGC will publish (e.g. Constructor Magazine, press release, etc.) information about finalists and provide a winners logo that can be added to their chapter and/or company’s website.
2018 Innovation Award Winners (submission videos):
- First: Brayman Construction Corp – TyBot
- Second: AGC Oregon-Columbia Chapter – Educating Educators
- Third: Sundt Construction – CTK Technology