Module 1: Problem Solving & Decision Making
- Identify tools and approaches for creative problem solving and decision making.
- Discuss how to use decision making techniques in current challenges through classroom exercises.
- Develop basic negotiation skills for problem solving and issue resolution.
Module 2: Communications
- Identify how each personality trait leads to effective leadership in problem solving, communications and teamwork.
- Describe the correlation between communication skills, personal leadership strategies and high performing teams.
- Illustrate techniques for effective oral and written communications.
- Distinguish between listening and hearing.
- Identify strategies to conduct effective meetings.
Module 3: Project Planning
- Identify the importance of pre-planning and its correlation with a company's bottom line.
- Outline the pre-planning process.
- Discuss pre-planning and planning tools.
- Demonstrate team building techniques within the pre-planning process.
Module 4: Safety Management
- Describe the project manager’s role in regards to safety management.
- Identify how safety affects a jobsite, both positively and negatively.
- Discuss best practices in managing safety on a construction project.
- Discuss the direct and indirect costs related to injury and claims management.
- Identify best practices for navigating an OSHA inspection.
- Establish a positive safety culture on your projects.
Module 5: Subcontractor & Vendor Management
- Discuss information required to evaluate and select subcontractor and vendor services and material and equipment purchases.
- Demonstrate how to prepare documents for the purchase of the services mentioned above.
- Describe how these documents aid in maintaining a project within budget, on schedule and with reduced claim potential.
- Identify effective techniques for dealing with new subcontractors vs. experienced subcontractors.
Module 6: Cost Control
- Identify the project manager's role in cost control.
- Discuss the importance of tracking job costs.
- Examine sample report forms used throughout the project in order to demonstrate the need for meaningful cost budgets.
- Illustrate cost analysis through the use of examples.
- Explain how good cost control practices and forecast probable final project cost.
Module 7: Project Recordkeeping
- Examine the various types of project records that must be generated, tracked and stored to increase project efficiency and prevent legal issues.
- Analyze the project manager's role in ensuring that project records are being properly maintained to avoid future conflicts and support claims.
- Discuss capabilities of various software packages to assist with the recordkeeping process.
Module 8: Construction Productivity
- Identify reasons for low job site productivity.
- Discuss the impact of low job site productivity on the project contractor, craftsperson, project owner and designer.
- Identify practices to ensure each worker is part of the overall project team.
- Analyze models to measure, predict and improve job site productivity.
- Identify environmental factors that impact productivity.
- Describe how to apply short interval schedules and job schedules to increase field productivity.
- Develop a work plan to increase field productivity.
Module 9: Time Management
- Develop an understanding of how to manage time effectively.
- Demonstrate how personal behavior affects time management.
- Examine time management techniques that can be used on the job.
Module 10: Claims Management
- Illustrate techniques for completing projects with a minimum amount of disputes using effective document control.
- Examine specifications and contract language.
- Identify a process for managing change orders.
- Describe the difference between arbitration, mediation, litigation and alternative dispute resolution.
Module 11: Critical Path Method (CPM) Scheduling
- Identify ways to plan and schedule work more efficiently using Critical Path Method (CPM) scheduling.
- Analyze modern scheduling techniques including the CPM schedule, bar charts, computer printouts and plots.
- Identify how to use the CPM schedule as a tool for avoiding or documenting future claims.
- Discuss the importance of regular updates to the CPM schedule.
Module 12: Legal Issues & Contract Clauses
- Discuss the significant legal implications project managers face.
- Identify actions, or lack thereof, that can have far-reaching legal consequences for the project manager, their company and many others.
- Identify specific areas where caution is necessary in order to avoid legal problems.
Module 13: Innovation
- Discover the latest trends in Building Information Modeling (BIM).
- Discuss benefits of Lean Construction.
- Explain the origins of Lean Construction.