October 31, 2021
$150 application fee
AGC's 2022 Annual Convention
All applicants must be AGC members in good standing of at least one AGC Chapter. For more requirements, see the "Who Should Enter" section.
For information about the AGC Chapter Diversity & Inclusion Award, please click here.
For information about all of AGC's awards programs, visit our awards page.
Sponsored by Willis Towers Watson
As part of AGC's ongoing commitment to promoting diversity and inclusion in the construction industry, the AGC Diversity & Inclusion Awards program - sponsored by Willis Towers Watson - recognizes companies that share AGC's commitment. This award seeks to raise awareness of the value a diverse workforce and inclusive environment brings to a company by bringing attention to diversity and inclusion champions within AGC. By recognizing these diversity and inclusion champions, AGC hopes to inspire other AGC member-companies to engage in activities that will promote diversity and inclusion both within the Association and the industry.
- Who Should Enter
- Contact Information
Diversity & Inclusion Excellence Awards
The AGC Diversity & Inclusion Excellence awards honor AGC members that are champions in advancing diversity and fostering a culture of inclusion within their workforce, supply chain and in the communities they serve. By showcasing and recognizing best practices from companies that are developing and delivering diversity and inclusion initiatives with demonstrable success, award winners have the opportunity to share their track record of achivement and commitnment. Award winners will be able to demonstrate their commitment to diversity and inclusion and a track record of achievement.
Diversity & Inclusion Excellence Award Categories:
- General or Specialty Contractor – Small Contractor (Under $36.5 Million)
- General or Specialty Contractor – Mid-Sized Contractor ($36.5 Million to $199 Million)
- General or Specialty Contractor – Large Contractor ($200 Million and Above)
- AGC Chapter
Diversity & Inclusion Excellence Award Criteria:
Applicants will be judged on the following:
- Corporate Commitment
- Company diversity statement or policy
- Diversity and inclusion as part of strategic plan and/or business plan
- Diversity and inclusion training for management and leadership
- Mentoring program for diverse employees by senior management
- Employee access to diversity & inclusion resources
- Dedicated diversity & inclusion staff
- Leadership commitment & accountability (e.g. including diversity and inclusion as a performance metric)
- Community involvement
- Workforce Diversity
- Employee composition with clearly-defined goals for broader employee diversity
- Diverse representation at all company levels
- Recruitment, retention and promotion rates for diverse demographics
- Diversity council, employee resources groups, or similar employee networks
- Targeted efforts to attract and retain employees from diverse groups
- Flexible work arrangements or creative benefits designed to meet the needs of diverse employees
- Diversity and inclusion training for employees, including diversity and inclusion integration into other training and apprenticeship programs
- Business Diversity
- Innovative approaches to supplier diversity
- Supplier diversity spend metrics
- Community outreach to diverse businesses
- Favorable contract terms and conditions for diverse businesses, assistance with bonding, quick pay, etc.
- Collaboration or partnership with external organizations
- Fosters Mentor-Protégé relationships
- Provides business leader shadowing
Diverse Business of the Year Award
AGC seeks to honor a diverse business that is committed to achieving business success in the construction industry. The Diverse Small Business of the Year award is geared towards general or specialty contractors that hold a certification recognized by a certifying agency. Qualified certifying agencies include: National Minority Supplier Development Council; Women's Business Enterprise National Council; other federal, state and/or local government agencies; or other certifications, recognized on a case-by-case basis. Applicants are not required to submit letters of recommendation, though applications that include recommendation letters are highly valued and may merit extra consideration during the judging process.
The Diverse Business of the Year award winner will be able to demonstrate strong vision and leadership in overcoming obstacles that lead to business results; a reputation for professionalism and integrity in work standards and performance; and a commitment to service in their community.
Diverse Business of the Year Award Criteria:
Applicants will be requred to submit a letter of recommendation from AGC chapter or national leadership/staff. In addition, applicants have the option to submit a second letter of recommendation from an individual who they've worked with in the previous 12 months. Applicants will be judged on the following:
- Consistent Growth
- Vision and potential for long-term success
- Business culture and values
- Response to adversity or obstacles
- Contributions to the community
- AGC involvement
Who Should Enter:
Diversity & Inclusion Excellence Awards
The AGC Diversity & Inclusion awards are open to general contractors, specialty contractors, and service and supply provider companies in good standing of at least one AGC Chapter. Nominations must be submitted by principals or officers of firms, or with their written permission.
Diverse Business of the Year Award
The Diverse Business of the Year award is open to general contractors or specialty contractors in good standing of at least one AGC Chapter. Nominations must be submitted by principals or officers of firms, or with their written permission.
Rules/Guidelines for Submittal:
All applications must be completed by 11:59 p.m. ET on Wednesday, October 21, 2020.
- For applications requiring a letter of recommendation, all letters must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. ET on Wednesday, November 7, 2020.
Submissions may cover one, some, or all aspects of diversity including but not limited to: age, ability, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, race, and religion.
Submissions must relate to activities or initiatives conducted in the last twelve months.
You may also submit PDFs, Microsoft Word documents, Microsoft Excel documents, or photos with your entry. Only ten (10) uploaded files (including photos) are allowed per submission. Photos that are uploaded should be in JPG/JPEG or PNG format, ideally in 300 dpi resolution. Do not submit multiple images within the same file.
All entries and accompanying materials may be used by AGC of America to celebrate the achievements in diversity and inclusion by the company that submitted it. By submitting an entry, the entrant grants to AGC of America a broad, non-exclusive royalty-free license to copy, distribute, and otherwise use the entry and all accompanying materials (including materials in text, image, or other forms) in works both related to and unrelated to the AGC Diversity & Inclusion awards. The entrant warrants that it has the right to grant such a license and that neither the entry nor the license infringes on the rights of any third party. Do not submit any materials to which you do not have the copyright and other proprietary rights.
All applications must be completed using AGC's online application system. Entries will not be accepted by mail or fax.
There is a $150 application processing fee. Application fee must be submitted through PayPal. Other forms of payment will not be accepted.
Frequently Asked Questions:
How are the entries judged?
Entries are judged by the AGC of America Diversity & Inclusion Judging Committee. Your entry will be evaluated based on the information you provide in the application.
When and where will the award winners be announced?
Winners will receive their award during the 2021 Annual AGC Convention held March 29-April 1, 2021 in Orlando, Florida. Winners will receive one complimentary registration to attend the 2021 Convention and accept their award.
For questions regarding AGC's Diversity & Inclusion Awards, contact Brynn Huneke, Director of Diversity & Inclusion at email@example.com or (703) 837-5376.