Module 1: Strategic & Financial Management
- Discuss and analyze industry profiles to determine what makes a contractor different from other business owners.
- Identify causes for contractor failure.
- Evaluate a contractor's financial statements and key ratios.
- Identify management responsibilities for implementing and monitoring controls.
- Analyze financial reporting, both external and internal.
- Discuss the difference between and benefit of using various financial institutions, such as banking, creditors and surety companies.
- Discuss new financial requirements affecting privately owned contractors, including, financial controls, reporting, and corporate governance.
Module 2: Risk Management
- Discuss the risk management process as it relates to the construction industry.
- Examine construction delivery methods and risks involved.
- Review required insurance coverage.
- Discuss risk financing and cost implications.
- Identify emerging risk and trends in the construction industry.
Module 3: Leadership
- Define leadership and identify misconceptions of what makes an effective leader.
- Discuss differences between leadership and management.
- Identify different styles of leadership and discuss strategies to improve personal leadership styles.
- Apply motivational techniques for team building.
- Develop an action plan to strengthen leadership on a personal and company level and within the industry as a whole.
Module 4: Contract Dispute Resolution
- Discuss contract disputes and implications on cost, time, and relationships.
- Examine the differences between a problem and a dispute.
- Participate in a mock mediation exercise.
- Discuss litigation and arbitration models.
- Recognize alternatives to litigation and the benefits.
- Evaluate the mediation process and the benefits.
Module 5: Leading Change
- Define four successful functions of business.
- Examine the role of change and its impact on an organization.
- Identify six steps of change.
- Discuss the importance of successfully managing change.
- Develop and analyze a plan for change.
Module 6: Construction Ethics
- Discuss the relationship between ethical behavior and success of a construction firm.
- Identify core values and codes of conduct within groups and organizations.
- Define components of a successful organizational culture and its impact on ethics.
- Identify ethical dilemmas in construction and apply practical skills to ethical situations.
Module 7: Recruitment, Retention and Succession Planning
- Discuss how to retain employees
- Examine the differences between Baby Boomers, Y’s and Millennials
- Discuss the benefits of mentoring Discuss the top 10 things recruiters should know
- Examine the importance of having a Succession Plan
Module 8: Safety Management
- Discuss safety management and the importance of benchmarking.
- Examine the importance of safety staffing, training, and education.
- Review cost and management strategies for claims.
- Identify behavioral based safety and worker accountability.
- Discuss safety as it applies to a subcontractor.
- Identify EMR - Experience Modification Ratio.
Module 9: Reputation & Media Management
- Explain the importance of working with the media to generate positive publicity for your company.
- Examine techniques for controlling a news interview to generate positive coverage.
- Learn techniques to participate in a news interview with confidence.
- Develop the tools for creating a company crisis communication plan.
Module 10: Construction Productivity
- Identify reasons for low job site productivity.
- Assess impact of low job site productivity on the project contractor, craftsperson, project owner and designer.
- Identify techniques for making the worker part of the overall project team.
- Analyze models to measure, predict, and improve job site productivity.
- Demonstrate ways to improve jobsite productivity via jobsite recordkeeping and reports.
- Create short interval schedules and job schedules to increase field productivity.